A few days before the Twilight 12 Hour Virtual Run, I received word the City of Bellingham had made the decision to cancel all events through August, and the following week announced events contracted with the city would also be cancelled. While I support the decision, it was incredibly hard to hear. To avoid conflict with other rescheduled events, I made the decision to cancel the 2020 Hamster Endurance Runs. To follow the fun and success of the Twilight 12 Hour Virtual Run, here is the virtual version of the Hamster Endurance Runs!
Register for either a 6 hour, 12 hour, 24 hour, or 32 hour looped challenge set for Hamster weekend, August 22-23rd. Everyone will start at 8am on Saturday morning and run/walk/crawl as much or as little as you like until your designated time is up. The catch? You need to find a 4 mile or less looped course to run. It wouldn’t be Hamster Endurance Runs without a short looped course!
- 32 hour option: $45 – includes belt buckle for a 100 mile finish, results, & Walla Trails swag
- 24 hour option: $45 – includes belt buckle for a 100 mile finish, results, & Walla Trails swag
- 12 hour option: $30 – includes results & Walla Trails swag
- 6 hour option: $30 – includes results & Walla Trails swag
- 10% of registration fees will be donated to Whatcom Family YMCA
- Photo contest – We had SO MUCH fun going through people’s photos for Twilight 12 Hour Virtual Run that the photo contest is back! There will be a winner for each race (6/12/24/32 hours),. Winners will receive a Walla Trails hat, a free entry into a 2021 Walla Trails event, and a $25 gift card of a local business of YOUR CHOICE. EXAMPLE. Photo ideas:
- A loopy selfie
- Cool or funny photo of the loop you are spending hours on
- Your support crew
- Be creative!
- Judges! – Ma, Pa, and Gretchen Walla. I want some non-runner/non-bias opinions.
About Whatcom Family YMCA
Having 17 years of experience working for a YMCA, I know what a Y does for its community and the dedication and passion it takes behind the scenes. The Whatcom Family YMCA has incredible programming for kids like Trail Blazers and Girls On the Run and knows how to have fun while doing it! I have seen firsthand that this Y is truly more than just a swim and gym and now is the time to rally around our community cornerstone!
Q&A // Rules
- How do you track results? You will need to figure out a way to document your loops via Garmin, Strava, or a tracking system that allows you to upload a link of your run. Your route will then be ranked by distance in your time category. In other words there will be separate results for 6/12/24/32 hour races like the actual Hamster Endurance Races.
- When do I submit results? You’ll have until midnight on Wednesday, August 26th to submit results to Pacific Multisports. More details on how coming!
- What if I don’t want to be in the results but want to enter the photo contest? We will still need a link to your run but it will not be uploaded into the results.
- Can I have a crew and/or pacer? We sure hope so! Yes, as of now based on the WA Phases of Reopening.
- RULES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE – As we know in this unprecedented time, things can change day by day. We will communicate any updates or changes based on recommendations by our State’s government.
- One Route/Submission Per Person – IMPORTANT – make sure you watch, phone, or tracking system records one run. Putting it on pause is okay but trying to submit multiple links is not.
- Running In Another Time Zone – If you are running in another state or country, rad! Start at 8am August 22 your time.
- Pick Your Favorite Photo to Submit – One photo per person. Caption or story behind the photo is welcome!
- Questions? Email Gretchen at email@example.com